Zucchini Pesto “Pasta”
Total Time:20 minutes
Try this fresh delicious twist on pesto pasta, featuring zucchini “noodles” and almond-basil pesto.
- 1/3 cup unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 packed cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 pounds zucchini
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Using a blender or food processor, process the almonds, olive oil and garlic until they form a slightly-chunky paste. Blend the basil leaves into the almonds, olive oil and garlic, adding in small batches, until it forms a thick smooth paste. Blend in the grated Parmesan cheese and lemon juice until desired consistency and add salt to taste.
- Peel the zucchini and cut each in half lengthwise. Hold one half with one hand and use the tip of a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Repeat the process for all the zucchini.
- Using a julienne peeler or spiralizer, slice the zucchini into long, thin strips or spirals. Place zucchini “noodles” into a large bowl. Toss the zucchini noodles with the basil pesto, adding the cherry tomatoes before serving.
A fresh and delicious twist on pesto pasta (with no wheat and no cooking required) is equally tasty as a salad course or a light lunch. Add whatever chopped fresh vegetables are abundant: radishes, carrots, cucumbers or cauliflower work well.
470 calories, 39 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 200 mg. sodium, 19 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 18 g. protein