Grilled Marinated Zucchini
A simple lemon marinade adds big flavor to mild zucchini.
- 1 pound zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Remove the ends from the zucchini and slice them lengthwise into halves or thirds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, vinegar and spices. Place the zucchini in a large dish or on a rimmed sheet pan and pour the marinade over the zucchini. Let sit for 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill the zucchini slices for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, basting with any remaining marinade when flipping. Serve warm.
Garnish with lemon wedges and serve as a side dish with grilled meats and poultry, or chop and toss the zucchini with chunks of fresh tomato, feta cheese and cooked couscous for a light Mediterranean salad. Picnicking? Put the zucchini and marinade in a plastic zip lock bag just before leaving home and grill them on-site.
42 calories, 3 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 43 mg. sodium, 4 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 2 g. protein