Southwestern Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Total Time:30 minutes
Zucchini takes center stage, stuffed with spiced up black beans, red pepper and topped with cheddar.
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scoop the flesh out of the zucchini halves. Gently squeeze it to extract any excess liquid, then dice about a cup of the flesh to use for the filling.
- Cook the zucchini boats cut side down on an oiled sheet pan for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the boats over.
- While zucchini is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the red pepper, green onions and zucchini flesh for 3-5 minutes. Add the ground cumin, salsa, and black beans and cook another minute. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper, and hot sauce if using.
- Evenly distribute the filling mixture between the zucchini boats. Return the filled boats to the oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes until cheese is melted.
Add cooked lean ground turkey to the stuffing for a heartier dish, or serve with grilled fish, chicken or tofu for an end-of-summer supper.
Calories: 156, Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 15 mg, Sodium: 164 mg, Carbohydrate: 12 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 9 g