Wild Rice Cranberry Apple Pilaf
Tart dried cranberries pair perfectly with the nutty, earthy flavors of wild rice (which is actually not a rice at all, but a delicious and nutrient dense aquatic grass!).
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (about 4-5 mushrooms)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (leave the peel on for extra color)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the wild rice, water, and apple juice to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 40 minutes until the rice is tender. Remove the rice from the heat, drain off any remaining liquid and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter or oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the celery and mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the rice) and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the rice to the pan and toss with the veggie and spice mixture. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Serve as a side dish or stuff into halved, baked winter squash for a vegetarian main dish.
Calories: 183, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 87 mg, Carbohydrate: 35 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 4 g