Rice Bean Burgers
Leftover beans and rice are the basis for Hilah Johnson’s easy veggie burgers.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for cooking
- Place the beans into a medium-sized bowl. Using a potato masher or large spoon, mash beans to a coarse paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the bread crumbs and oil) and mix well. If mixture is dry, add a little more water until mixture binds together.
- Shape the sticky bean mixture it into four large patties. Coat both sides of the patties in the bread crumbs and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and fry patties 1-2 minutes on each side until very crisp and brown.
Serve on whole wheat buns with your favorite burger fixings. Try chutney or salsa as a topping.
316 Calories, 13 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 326 mg. sodium, 40 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 12 g. protein