Jamaican Bean Burgers
A fabulous bean burger infused with Jamaica's much loved warming spices and, of course, a bit of heat.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced peeled ginger
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add the diced onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and the chopped mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes, until onions begin to lightly brown. Add the jalapeño pepper, allspice, nutmeg, ground ginger and chili powder and sauté one minute more.
- Remove the mixture to a large bowl, and add the beans, fresh minced ginger, bread crumbs and rice. Using your hands, squish, mash and mix all the ingredients together; the mixture should be slightly chunky and somewhat sticky. Form the mixture into 6 equal balls, then flatten them into patties. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wide skillet and gently pan-fry each burger over medium heat, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy.
Top with spicy mango salsa and avocado slices, and serve with a side of roasted sweet potato wedges or a tangy bean salad. Extra patties can be individually wrapped and frozen.
Calories: 363, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 363 mg, Carbohydrate: 66 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 12 g