Sun-Dried Tomato Puttanesca Sauce
Homemade tomato sauce is so worth it, especially when it's this easy.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, softened and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 (23-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- In a small saucepan, sauté the onions until soft, then add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the diced and sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and olives. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.
Puttanesca sauce can be used to top fish, meat, or pasta. Or add cooked chicken or shrimp to the sauce, if desired, while simmering.
211 calories, 16 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 219 mg. sodium, 18 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 3 g. protein