Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are easy to throw in the oven on your day off, maybe while you vacuum or read a good book. These veggies are very versatile—toss them with pasta, top a pizza, stir into soup, stuff a sandwich or wrap, or toss with vinaigrette for a salad.
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium sweet potato (or 1 lb green beans or 8 oz mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cut all the vegetables into 3/4 inch wide pieces and put in a large roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cover the pan with foil and roast for 20 minutes, then uncover and roast for 20-30 minutes more, until the sweet potato chunks are tender when pierced with a paring knife. The veggies should be soft and sweet.
- Cool on a rack, then divide them into servings to keep in the fridge for a week or the freezer for about 3 months.
- Serve hot or at room temperature or toss with pasta, top a pizza, stir into soup, stuff a sandwich or wrap, or toss with vinaigrette for a salad.
Tips & Notes
Change up this recipe easily based on the veggies in season, when they're usually the most budget-friendly. Some ideas:
- Fall: beets, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, potato, sweet potato, turnip, winter squash, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts
- Winter: potato, sweet potato, winter squash
- Summer: green beans, onion, pepper, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes (cherry or grape)
- Spring: radishes, asparagus, mushrooms, baby carrots
Calories: 138, Fat: 63 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 8 mg, Carbohydrate: 17 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 3 g