Roasted Root Vegetable Risotto with Fresh Sage
The magic of risotto lies in the way the grain absorbs the flavored liquids, along with the creamy cheese sauce, which is formed at the end of the process. This version of the classic favorite is an exquisite way to spotlight the beauty of winter’s vegetables.
- 1 small red or golden beet, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes or strips
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch cubes or strips
- 1 small turnip or parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes or strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for vegetables
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup finely minced mushrooms (wild or cultivated)
- 2 to 3 leaves fresh sage, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups mushroom, vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss beets, carrots and turnips in a little oil and spread out on a sheet pan in a single layer. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are golden and tender. While vegetables are roasting, prepare the risotto.
- In a heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, mushrooms and sage and cook until leeks are tender, about 4 minutes. From this point on, the pan will need constant watching.
- Over medium-high heat add rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add wine and stir until fully absorbed into the grains. Pour in 1 cup broth and stir until absorbed. Add an additional cup broth and stir, once again, until fully absorbed.
- Proceed in this fashion with all but the last 1/2 cup broth, until rice is tender but still a little chewy. Stir in most of the roasted vegetables, saving some for garnish.
- As the final step, add remaining 1/2 cup broth. This should make the grains a little bit juicy. Immediately stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan. The cheese will melt into the stock and form a creamy sauce around the grains.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional roasted veggies, grated Parmesan and fresh sage. Serve immediately.
Recipe modified with permission from PCC Natural Markets.
287 calories, 13 g. fat, 12 mg. cholesterol, 507 mg. sodium, 31 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 8 g. protein