Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Total Time:45 minutes; 20 minutes active
This earthy mushroom soup combines the tang of sour cream and lemon with the complex flavors of paprika and dill.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and green peppers and sauté for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the paprikas, dill and flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until flour is absorbed. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes and season with a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and slowly stir in the sour cream and lemon juice. Serve warm.
Earthy and hearty, this soup pairs well with roasted vegetables, meats, game and sausages and stands up to dishes with assertive flavors. Make it a one-pot meal by adding your favorite cooked protein or pasta.
257 calories, 14 g. fat, 16 mg. cholesterol, 180 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 7 g. protein