Golden Beet Salad with Honey Apple Dressing
Beets are wonderfully nutritious. And the sweet and savory flavors of this colorful salad are a feast for the eyes and palate.
- 2 pounds medium sized fresh beets (golden, red or a mix of the two)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 pound spring mix greens
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Trim, peel and cut the beets into wedges (similar in size to apple slices). Place the beets in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water and the apple juice. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer. Cook until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and drain thoroughly in a colander.
- While the beets are cooking, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the cooked, drained beets to the dressing, toss to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- To serve: Line 4 salad plates with fresh greens, divide the beets and cucumber slices into four servings and set atop the greens, then top with goat cheese crumbles. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the salads and serve.
A glass of sparkling apple cider will complement the sweet flavor of roasted beets.
Calories: 360, Fat: 17 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Sodium: 280 mg, Carbohydrate: 44 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 13 g