Vegetable Pasta Salad
This chilled pasta salad is great for hot summer days, and easy to customize with your favorite vegetables.
- 2 cups dried pasta (fusilli or penne)
- 1/4 red onion, julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Bring two quarts of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente, (firm but not chewy). Drain the pasta (reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water) and cool immediately using an ice bath. Once cool, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved pasta water and vinegar, then slowly whisk in the olive oil to make the dressing. Set aside.
- Combine the cooled pasta, prepped vegetables, minced herbs and dressing. Mix well and serve, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
This chilled pasta salad is great for hot summer days, and easy to customize with your favorite vegetables. Try adding sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms, olives, feta or goat cheese.
Tips & Notes
Cooking pasta al dente is a snap when you know how. Charlie Wilson demonstrates the best way to cook perfect pasta while making a simple and versatile vegetable pasta salad, and talks about which noodles are best for which types of sauces and recipes.
420 Calories, 35 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 197 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 4 g. protein