Stuffed Tomatoes with Pesto and Orzo
These delicious stuffed tomatoes make a terrific summer lunch. They can also be baked and served warm, if you desire.
- 8 medium to large ripe tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce package orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions, drain well and refrigerate until cold. In a large bowl, mix together the chilled orzo, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, basil, spinach, pine nuts, garlic, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Wash and core the tomatoes, then scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh to make a space for the orzo mixture. Slice a small section from the bottom of the tomato so it will sit upright. Fill each of the tomatoes with a few tablespoons of the orzo mixture, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan and serve room temperature or chilled.
Accompanied with hummus, baba ganouj, and toasted pita triangles, these stuffed tomatoes make a lovely al fresco lunch. If you prefer, bake stuffed tomatoes for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. and serve warm.
190 calories, 6 g. fat, 2 mg. cholesterol, 204 mg. sodium, 28 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 7 g. protein