Indian Spiced Carrots
This bright, crisp, raw carrot salad makes it easy to say "yes" to more vegetables.
- 1 pound medium-sized carrots, peeled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrots lengthwise into strands about 2 inches long. Set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, lemon juice, garam masala and cinnamon. Add the carrots, raisins, almonds and parsley to the dressing and mix well.
- Marinate the carrots for 15 minutes or more, stirring occasionally.
This crisp, easy-to-make raw carrot salad pairs nicely with Tandoori-spiced chicken, beef or tofu, a basmati rice pilaf and samosas, or with a sweet lassi yogurt drink. It is best served at room temperature.
Calories: 239, Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 32 mg, Carbohydrate: 33 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 3 g