Grilled Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce spice up these chicken quesadillas with a rich, smoky flavor.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 3-4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (10-inch diameter)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- 4 green onions, diced
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the chipotle peppers, sugar, garlic and spices together into a paste. Add the chicken, mix well to coat and let marinate 15 minutes. Prepare and heat the grill to medium-high. Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill, let sit for 5 minutes, then slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Lay out the tortillas on a clean work surface and evenly distribute the sliced chicken, cheese, green onion and roasted red peppers on half of each tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla up and over the filling, press gently and spread lightly with butter.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, lay two quesadillas, butter side down, side by side and cook 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Flip them over and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is browned on the other side. Remove, set aside and repeat the process until all quesadillas are cooked. Serve whole or sliced into triangles.
Fresh guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo finish this dish in traditional Mexican style. Replace the chicken with a 15-ounce can of refried black beans blended with two minced chipotle peppers and one teaspoon each of cumin and coriander to make a vegetarian version. Make quesadillas ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to pan-fry them.
377 calories, 17 g. fat, 58 mg. cholesterol, 337 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 22 g. protein