Serve this versatile, nutty tabouli as a side salad or stuff it in a whole wheat pita with humus, dolmades or falafel.
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed in a sieve until water runs clear)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch parsley, rinsed well, stems removed, and minced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- In a 3-quart sauce pan, boil 3 cups of water. Stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Drain the cooked quinoa and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the prepared parsley, cucumber, tomato, scallions, mint, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. Add the cooled quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
This versatile salad makes a delicious vegetarian sandwich filling, too. Stuff a whole-wheat pita with hummus, dolmades or falafel patties and add a scoop of tabouli. Garnish with lemon wedges or plain yogurt.
141 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 56 mg. sodium, 12 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 3 g. protein