Fried Green Tomatoes with Pink Chili Sauce
Fried green tomatoes are a great reason to eat those tomatoes before they fully ripen. Chili sauce spices up a delicious version of this southern classic.
- 8 strips peppered bacon
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large bunch arugula, tough stems removed, washed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or to taste)
Pink Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend or spicy chili powder
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- In a wide-bottom skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Strain the bacon grease into a cup and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- While the bacon is cooking, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Add milk and stir well. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
- Add olive oil to the cleaned skillet along with the strained bacon grease (optional), and heat over medium.
- Working in batches, dip the tomato slices in the batter, letting excess drip back into the bowl. Fry slices in the pan for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. (Add more olive oil if necessary.) Drain tomato slices on paper towels.
- Combine the Thousand Island dressing, jalapenos, and Cajun spices in a small bowl.
- Chop or crumble the bacon into small pieces.
- To serve as an appetizer—Line a serving plate with arugula, layer the fried tomatoes, drizzle with pink chili sauce, and top with the goat cheese crumbles and chopped bacon.
- To serve as sandwiches—Toast 8 slices of bread. Spread the pink chili sauce on one side of each slice of toasted bread. Layer 4 slices of bread (sauce side up) with 2 slices bacon, 2 fried tomato slices, and arugula. Top with another piece of toast, dressed side down.
Serve with coleslaw, cornbread, and fresh lemonade or sweet tea.
Calories: 393, Fat: 23 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Sodium: 329 mg, Carbohydrate: 35 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 11 g