Fried Green Tomatoes
A crunchy cornmeal coating and some under ripe tomatoes are the basis for Hilah Johnson's fried green tomatoes.
- 2 medium green (unripened) tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (celery salt, garlic salt, onion salt)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat
Seasoned flour mix
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/2" thick.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and optional cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the slices lightly with seasoned salt. One at a time, dredge the tomato slices in the flour mixture, then the egg, then back into the flour and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wide, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Oil will shimmer when ready. Carefully lay the slices in the hot oil and turn the heat to medium. Cook 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oil and rest them on paper towel or a rack. Serve hot.
Try fried green tomatoes in a BLT or serve with ranch dressing, lemon wedges or hot sauce and a nice pasta salad.
587 Calories, 32 g. fat, 105 mg. cholesterol, 658 mg. sodium, 64 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 12 g. protein