Tempeh "Chicken" Salad
Tempeh is a fermented soybean cake, often with other ingredients mixed in, like veggies or wild rice. This recipe calls for either baking or steaming the tempeh. Baking will make the tempeh chewier and allows the tamari flavor to bake in; steaming provides a softer end result.
- 8 ounces tempeh, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, optional
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce, optional
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, split and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, your choice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dill, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Bake or steam tempeh.
Baking method: Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Steaming method: Set up a steamer and steam the tempeh for 10 minutes, then remove from the steamer and let cool. You can proceed without baking, if you want a softer texture. If desired, spread the 2 tsps oil on a sheet pan and crumble the tempeh on it, then sprinkle with the soy sauce. Toss and spread on the pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let cool on the pan. In a large bowl, combine the scallions, carrots, celeryand parsley, then add the cooled tempeh.
- In a medium bowl, stir the mayo, mustard, dill, salt and pepper, then pour over the tempeh mixture. Stir and mix, breaking up the tempeh into smaller pieces. Can be refrigerated, tightly covered, for up to a week. For sandwiches, serve 1/2 cup salad per sandwich, and load up with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, or avocado.
234 Calories, 9 g. fat, 7 mg. cholesterol, 555 mg. sodium, 17 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 11 g. protein