A lemony, garlicky, minty, yogurt marinade makes for out-of-this-world shish tawook.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, nonfat
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, tomato paste and spices. Add the cubed chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat the grill to 375ºF.
- Seed peppers and cut into approximately 2-inch squares. Slice the eggplant crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. When the grill or oven is hot, remove chicken from the marinade and place on skewers, alternating with the cubed peppers, eggplant slices and mushrooms. Place kabobs on grill, and cook, covered with grill lid, for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
The lemon-yogurt marinade makes the chicken extra-tasty; a side of pita and cucumber-yogurt relish are great accompaniments.
310 calories, 7 g. fat, 130 mg. cholesterol, 120 mg. sodium, 9 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 50 g. protein