Just as delicious as stuffed cabbage rolls, this hearty unstuffed version is a cinch to prepare.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, paprika, dill, salt and pepper. Form the turkey mixture into 12 large meatballs and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the cabbage, onion, crushed tomatoes and garlic powder.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, place half of the cabbage mixture in the bottom of the pan. Gently place the meatballs on top of the cabbage layer and pour the remaining cabbage mixture over the meatballs. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes until the meatballs are set and firm. Gently stir the pot, taking care to not break the meatballs, lower heat and continue to simmer another 20 to 30 minutes until the cabbage is very tender and the meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Serve warm.
A family favorite, this hearty (and economical) dish goes well with steamed broccoli and carrots. Serve over cooked brown rice if you like; any leftover meatballs can be stuffed in a hoagie roll for the next day’s lunch.
230 calories, 8 g. fat, 85 mg. cholesterol, 280 mg. sodium, 23 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 20 g. protein