Roasted Asparagus and White Cheddar Béchamel with Hazelnut-crusted Ravioli
Total Time: 30 minutes
This sumptuous asparagus and ravioli dish is surprisingly easy to make.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 24 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 24 fresh ravioli or your favorite filled pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add flour (forming a “roux”). Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the roux is sizzling hot, still pale in color and smells of popcorn. With a wire whip, stir in half-and-half, beating well to evenly distribute.
- Simmer gently for 3 to 4 minutes. The sauce will thicken and become silky. Stir in cheeses; season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- Toss asparagus in 2 tablespoons oil and a little salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 3 to 4 minutes for slender stalks, slightly longer for thicker stalks, or until bright green and crisp-tender.
- Cook ravioli in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add garlic and hazelnuts and cook for 30 seconds or so, until garlic is aromatic. Add ravioli and toss to heat through.
- Place 6 ravioli each on 4 plates. Top with asparagus spears and drizzle with the warm sauce.
Recipe modified with permission from PCC Natural Markets.