Thai Roast Beef and Herb Salad
This delicious and authentic salad saves time by relying on deli-sliced roast beef. Topped with a flavorful oil-free dressing, this salad is wonderful year-round, but especially so in the summer when fresh picked herbs and tomatoes are readily available. For variety, try other meats, seafood or pre-seasoned baked tofu instead of beef.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely torn
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 shallots, slivered
- 1/2 pound beef roast, thinly sliced, then slivered
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- Mix garlic, jalapeno, brown sugar, lime juice and fish sauce, and reserve.
- In a large bowl, toss the basil, cilantro, cherry tomatoes and shallots, then spread the mixture on a platter.
- Scatter roast beef over salad and grind over it a very generous quantity of black pepper. Top salad with dressing and serve.
This salad makes a main course, or can be served as a side for satay skewers, coconut milk curries, or other Thai dishes.
Calories: 225, Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 50 mg, Sodium: 598 mg, Carbohydrate: 16 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 23 g