Honey Whole Wheat Bread
There is nothing that quite compares to slicing into your freshly baked loaf of bread and inhaling its yeasty, wheaty scent. Except maybe slathering it with melty butter, or building a great sandwich on it.
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3/4 cup low-fat (2%) milk or other milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unbleached flour, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (not pastry flour), plus up to 1/4 c more if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer, stir the lukewarm water and yeast to dissolve. In a small pan, heat the milk and honey just to dissolve and bring the milk to lukewarm temperature, if it's too hot it will kill the yeast. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir. Let stand for 10 minutes, the mixture should be bubbly.
- Stir in egg and olive oil and blend well. Mix in the flour to make soft dough that begins to come away from sides of bowl and can be handled. Knead by hand or with the dough hook until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and put the dough in the bowl, turn the ball of dough to coat with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm spot or near the oven until dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- On a lightly floured counter, pat the dough to a 12- × 8-inch rectangle. Roll up from short side as for jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in greased 9- × 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45-60 minutes. It should rise to the top of the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown, and it sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
Let the bread cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting, or it will be too soft and collapse. Slather with butter or your favorite spread, and toast slices for sandwiches all week long. Keep for a week, tightly wrapped, at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Calories: 159, Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 19 mg, Sodium: 215 mg, Carbohydrate: 28 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 5 g