Whole Wheat Biscuits
Total Time:15-20 minutes
Philip Speer's quick and easy whole wheat biscuits are made from scratch and fresh from the oven in about 20 minutes.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar (or alternative sweetener; find a conversion table here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Freeze butter and grate it or cut it into pea sized chunks before making biscuits.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. Using your hands, incorporate frozen butter into the flour mixture, being careful not to let butter get too warm. Add milk and mix by hand just until the dough holds together.
- Place the dough on a flat, lightly floured surface and pat or roll dough into a rectangular shape 1-2 inches thick. Use a cutter or cup to cut out biscuits and place on a greased baking tray. Gently brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg wash.
- Bake on a greased baking pan at 400°F for 3 minutes. Lower the temperature of the oven to 375°F and continue to bake for another 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and let cool slightly.
297 Calories, 19 g. fat, 74 mg. cholesterol, 584 mg. sodium, 28 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 5 g. protein