Smoky White Bean and Ham Soup
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
White beans are creamy and mild tasting, and they take on the smoky flavor of an inexpensive ham hock or turkey leg. It's a great way to make a little bit of meat flavor a whole pot of beans, providing all the protein you need.
The High Five
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 ham hock or smoked turkey leg
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the beans, water, ham hock or turkey leg, carrot and onion in a slow cooker. Cover and set on low heat for 6 hours.
- At 6 hours, add the collard greens and salt and cover again for 30 minutes longer. The beans will be very tender and the greens meltingly soft.
- Serve warm or let cool before transferring to containers to refrigerate or freeze.
Serve with a spinach salad and a slice of crusty whole wheat bread, for lunch or dinner.
530 calories, 25 g. fat, 75 mg. cholesterol, 410 mg. sodium, 44 g. carbohydrate, 17 g. fiber, 33 g. protein