Grilled Fruit Kebabs
These fruit kabobs are a delicious complement to jerk-spiced chicken or tofu or as as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 pound fresh ripe peaches and/or plums, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1 small pineapple (2-3 lbs.), peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 metal or bamboo skewers (soak bamboo skewers in water before using)
- Prepare and preheat the grill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger ale, honey, orange juice, oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme leaves, salt and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Thread the fruit onto the skewers and place them on a rimmed sheet pan. Brush the fruit with some of the marinade. When the grill is hot, put the skewers on and grill on each side for 3-4 minutes, glazing the fruit with more marinade every couple of minutes.
Grilled fruit is a flavorful accompaniment to jerk-spiced chicken or tofu, or a special summertime dessert, with a scoop of chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
116 calories, 2 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 123 mg. sodium, 25 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 1 g. protein