Easy Beef Rouladen
Total Time: 45 minutes
A simple and delicious recipe for this traditional and hearty German beef roll up.
- 6 (4-ounce) cube steaks, pounded thin
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 dill pickle spear, chopped
- 6 teaspoons German-style mustard, stone-ground
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, fry bacon until nearly crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, reserving bacon grease. Add diced onions to the bacon grease and sauté until soft. Remove pan from heat. Chop bacon. Add bacon and pickle to the onions and mix well.
- Season each cube steak with salt and pepper and spread with 1 teaspoon of mustard. Divide equal amounts of the onion-bacon mixture, spread onto the center of each steak, then roll and secure with toothpicks.
- Place beef rolls (roulades) into the skillet and brown them over medium-high heat. Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer until beef is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the roulades to a serving plate. Bring broth back to a boil and stir in cornstarch to make a gravy.
- Pour gravy over roulades and serve.
481 calories, 29 g. fat, 115 mg. cholesterol, 418 mg. sodium, 16 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 38 g. protein