Wheatberry and Apple Salad
Chewy and nutty in flavor, wheat berries (the grain of whole wheat) pack in the fiber in this sweet and tangy salad that's sure to please.
- 1 cup dry wheatberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons red wine or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then stir in the wheatberries and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the wheatberries, uncovered, for 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hours until tender and chewy. Drain the wheatberries in a colander and cool. Wheatberries can be cooked and stored in the refrigerator for up to three days to reduce your preparation time to 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt), vinegar, and apple juice. Mix the dressing with the cooled wheatberries, walnuts, cranberries, scallion, celery, and apple. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on a bed of lettuce or lightly-steamed greens.
Calories: 282, Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 11 mg, Sodium: 196 mg, Carbohydrate: 42 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 5 g