Tempeh Taco Filling
Tempeh, made from fermented soybeans, gives a deep flavor and meaty texture to Dana Tomlin's vegetarian taco filling.
- 1 pound plain tempeh
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Pinch of pepper
- Crumble tempeh into a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 15-20 seconds until aromatic.
- Add chili powder, pepper, tamari, and water. Mix well and sauté a few minutes more until liquid evaporates. Note: Add additional oil if tempeh is sticking to pan.
Serve with hard taco shells, fresh corn or flour tortillas and your favorite taco fixings.
272 Calories, 3 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 648 mg. sodium, 16g. carbohydrate, 1g. fiber, 23g. protein