Tempeh Fajitas with Avocado
Tempeh has a chewy texture and nutty flavor that is perfect for Mexican dishes. Smoky chipotle and sherry infuse it with satisfying sensations. Top fajitas with your favorite salsa, sour cream or cheese, if desired.
- 8 ounces tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, slivered
- 1 large red bell pepper, slivered
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Salsa, sour cream or yogurt, grated cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, toss the slivered tempeh with cumin, chipotle powder, salt and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Spread on a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes. When the tempeh is crispy and browned, remove it and use a metal spatula to transfer the tempeh to a bowl.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven for 10 minutes. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and sauté the onions and peppers. When the onions are limp and golden brown and peppers are soft, add the sherry to the pan. Stir and cook until the liquids have evaporated. Add the temeph and toss, just to re-warm the tempeh. Sprinkle the cilantro over the tempeh and take off the heat.
- Arrange bowls of salsa, sliced avocado, and sour cream or yogurt on a tray. Wrap warmed tortillas in clean cloth napkin. Serve tempeh filling out of skillet or in pre-warmed serving dish. Guests then assemble their own fajitas.
267 Calories, 9 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 537 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 11 g. protein