Tangelo Chicken Pasta Salad
Total Time:3 hours; 40 minutes active
The zest and juice of tangelos and lemons give this chicken pasta salad a decidedly fresh, bright flavor.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 4 tangelos
- 1 cup tangelo and lemon juice combined (from 2 lemons and about 4 tangelos)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces cavatappi pasta
- 1 cup tangelo segments (one medium tangelo)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly julienned
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in
- 1-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Prepare the marinade first. Zest and juice the lemons. Zest two of the tangelos, and juice all four. Combine the citrus juices and zest in a blender; add remaining marinade ingredients and blend until smooth. Place half the marinade into a plastic zip lock bag or non-reactive bowl with the chicken thighs and marinate in the refrigerator for approximately two hours (reserve the remaining half of the marinade to use as dressing for the pasta salad).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the used marinade) and roast on a baking tray for 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, dice or shred the chicken.
- Fill a medium stock pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, until al dente. Drain, rinse and cool the pasta. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, pasta, almonds and prepared vegetables with one cup of dressing and serve.
For a refreshing light lunch, accompany this salad with a cup of lentil soup, or serve on a bed of greens. Substitute rosemary, thyme or basil for the oregano if desired.
401 calories, 15 g. fat, 85 mg. cholesterol, 126 mg. sodium, 51 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 19 g. protein