Total Time:2 hours; 1 hour active
Servings:18 (36 cookies)
Thumbprint cookies are great fun, especially when baking with kids. An easy buttery dough is shaped to cradle a gem-like dollop of jam, for a sweet and colorful cookie.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and mix until combined.
- Roll dough in 1-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Press an indentation in each cookie with your thumb. If the edges crack a little, just press them gently back together. Chill the pans for 30 minutes. While the cookies chill, preheat the oven to 350⁰F.
- Use a teaspoon to fill the indentations with jam. Bake for 8 minutes, then switch the position of the pans between upper and lower racks and bake for about 8-9 minutes more, until the cookies are lightly golden on top.
- Place the pans on racks and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies onto the racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
123 calories, 6 g. fat, 48 mg. cholesterol, 80 mg. sodium, 16 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 2 g. protein