Besides succulent fresh, ripe strawberries, the key to a great strawberry shortcake lies in the quality of the biscuit. And this one is top-notch. These tender, sweet buttermilk biscuits are made with a blend of cake flour and whole-wheat flour and lightened by substituting reduced-fat cream cheese for some of the butter. As a delicately tangy alternative to whipped cream, we use a blend of cream and reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups sliced hulled strawberries, (about 1 1/4 pounds whole)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- To prepare shortcakes: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until the pieces are about the size of peas. Cut in cream cheese until it’s the size of peas. Drizzle oil over the mixture; stir with a fork until just combined (the mixture will be crumbly). Make a well in the center and add egg and buttermilk. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture is evenly moist. Knead the mixture in the bowl two or three times until it holds together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust with flour and roll into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the edges square using a butter knife. Cut the dough into 12 equal shortcakes. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake the shortcakes until puffed and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- To prepare filling: Toss strawberries with sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk whipping cream in a medium bowl until it’s thick and holds its shape, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream until combined.
- To serve, split the shortcakes horizontally. Spoon the berries and juice onto the bottoms, top with the cream mixture and replace the shortcake tops.
303 calories, 14 g. fat, 48 mg. cholesterol, 138 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 5 g. protein