Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese
This salad is a love poem to the strawberry, whose succulent sweetness is set off by the savory and tangy greens and vinegar, and complemented by creamy goat cheese. I like to make this with an all-fruit jam, adding strawberry flavor and sweetness with no refined sugar.
- 4 cups strawberries, reserve 2, slice remaining
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces spinach, pre-washed
- 2 medium scallions, slivered
- 4 ounces chèvre cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a food processor or blender, process 2 strawberries with the shallot until well minced. Add the jam and vinegar and process to mix, then drizzle in the olive oil gradually with the machine running. Mix in the salt. Transfer to a cruet or cup.
- Combine the spinach, berries, and scallion in a serving bowl and top with chèvre.
- Drizzle with the dressing and top with almonds. Serve immediately.
317 calories, 19 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 457 mg. sodium, 19 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 8 g. protein