Spicy Szechuan Sprout Salad
Sprouts star in this spicy salad. Beef, chicken and roasted peanuts are delicious in place of or in addition to the tofu.
- 2 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 2 ounces broccoli or sunflower sprouts
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms,sliced and sautéed (stems removed)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded or julienned
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 6-ounce package baked tofu, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek or Sriracha chili sauce
In a large bowl, gently toss the sprouts, sautéed mushrooms, green onions, carrots, cabbage and tofu together. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, sugar and chili sauce. Pour the sauce over the vegetable mix and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
The crunchy texture and Asian flavors of this recipe go nicely with a cup of egg drop or hot and sour soup. Substitute button or crimini mushrooms for the shiitakes, if you prefer. Don’t like tofu? Thinly sliced strips of cooked beef or chicken are a great substitution.
Calories: 128, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 473 mg, Carbohydrate: 13 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 7 g