Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Total Time:30 minutes
Creamy pumpkin soup is spiced up with jalapenos and a refreshing dollop of chipotle sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups pumpkin purée (canned or fresh cooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chipotle Sour Cream
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, celery, carrots and jalapeño peppers, stirring frequently, for about 10-15 minutes. Add the cumin, garlic powder, pumpkin purée, broth and milk. Bring to a simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the soup is cooking, blend the sour cream ingredients together in a small bowl. Place a dollop of the sour cream on each soup serving.
Served with mulled apple cider and hearty bread, this soup goes equally well with roast pork or a spinach salad.
Tips & Notes
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapanos in a tangy, slightly sweet sauce. Look for them in a small can with other Mexican condiments. They can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 6 months.
190 calories, 10 g. fat, 14 mg. cholesterol, 408 mg. sodium, 22 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 6 g. protein