Roasted Fennel & Farro Salad
This whole-grain salad stars farro, an ancient form of wheat common in Italy, along with roasted fennel and bell peppers. Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries (see Tip)
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place farro (or wheat berries) in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro, about 1 hour for wheat berries.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and bell peppers with oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro (or wheat berries); transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, olives, vinegar and thyme; stir to combine. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
213 calories; 8 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium