Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Chipotle
Total Time:40 minutes
Red lentils are quick-cooking and versatile, as this simple, Mexican-inspired soup illustrates.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons cilantro leaves, whole
- In a 4 quart saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until soft and clear, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, lentils, water, paprika, chipotle powder and salt and raise the heat to bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring halfway. At 15 minutes, the red lentils should be falling apart tender, if not, cook a little longer.
- Puree the soup to desired degree of smoothness in a food processor or blender, or with a stick blender. Taste for salt.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream of Greek yogurt and a few cilantro leaves in the center.
Calories: 604, Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 8 mg, Sodium: 361 mg, Carbohydrate: 98 g, Dietary Fiber: 18 g, Protein: 39 g