Raspberry-Almond Streusel Bars
Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes; 30 minutes active
These bars may look complicated, but they are, in fact, really easy. Just mix one dough, press most of it in the pan, top with jam, the remaining dough and some almonds, and you have a showy pan of shortbread bars.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Cream the butter in a medium bowl with a hand mixer (if using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment) until soft and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy; add egg yolks and mix well. In another medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt, then beat into the butter mixture to form a crumbly dough. Take out 1/4 of the mixture and crumble into a bowl. Press the remaining 3/4 of the dough into a 9x13-inch pan, then chill both portions of dough for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F.
- Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and spread the jam evenly over it. Sprinkle the crumble and sliced almonds evenly over the jam. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crumble topping is lightly golden. Cool on a rack before cutting 4 x 6 to make 24 squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
210 calories, 9 g. fat, 93 mg. cholesterol, 78 mg. sodium, 31 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 3 g. protein