Pepperoni Pizza Bake
Serve this kid-friendly casserole with garlic toast, a green salad and steamed vegetables for a great weeknight meal.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced and cut into halves or quarters
- 1 jar (25.5 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 2.25-ounce can black olives, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Cook the pasta according to package directions until just al dente (do not overcook). Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another few minutes until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked vegetables, cooked pasta, pepperoni, marinara or spaghetti sauce, black olives, and half of the shredded cheese. Pour this mixture into the casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until heated through and the cheese browns on top.
Serve this kid-friendly casserole with garlic toast, a green salad and simple steamed vegetables for a great weeknight meal. Substitute your family’s favorite pasta shapes for the penne; shells and rotini hold the sauce especially well. Use vegetarian pepperoni for a meatless version.
Calories: 310, Fat: 15 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 578 mg, Carbohydrate: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 14 g