Parmesan Drop Biscuits
A simple meal of soup or a roasted chicken becomes a divine repast with the addition of these meltingly tender biscuits. Drop biscuits may not look as perfect as biscuits that are rolled and cut out, but they are just as good, and require less cleanup.
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, approximately (see Tip for substitutes)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Oil or put parchment paper on a baking sheet, and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash, reserve the white for the dough. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Whisk together remaining whole egg and egg white, 3/4 cup buttermilk and olive oil, stir into the flour mixture. If it seems stiff, add more buttermilk. Use a quarter-cup measure to scoop the batter and drop onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
These biscuits are best served warm, and go great with an Italian soup like white bean or chicken with herbs. They also make a great nosh with wine at your next party!
Calories: 158, Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 46 mg, Sodium: 308 mg, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 6 g