Mushroom Chicken and Rice
Total Time:1 hour; 25 minutes active
This one-pot dinner is simple, satisfying and budget-friendly.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to pan. Mix paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper together by shaking in a zip-lock plastic bag. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat evenly with dry spice mixture. Add chicken to pan and sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining canola oil to pan. Add onion and mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper, sauté 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken broth and rice and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is done. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
This one-pot meal is a savory delight. Mushrooms and chicken make a natural pair, and peas add texture and provide a good source of vitamins A, C and fiber.
440 calories, 15 g. fat, 125 mg. cholesterol, 470 mg. sodium, 45 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 30 g. protein