Marinated Tofu Wrap with Spicy Cabbage Slaw
Total Time: 1.5 hours; 30 minutes active
Tofu is infused with a flavorful marinade then topped with spicy cabbage and carrot slaw in these tasty wraps.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 pound carrots, grated
- 1/2 small white onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 4 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 ounce arugula leaves (or micro greens)
- Cut tofu in half lengthwise and widthwise. Place on paper towels and allow to drain for 10 minutes to remove excess water. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, tamari, 3 teaspoons minced garlic, chili powder and ground black pepper to make the tofu marinade. Place the tofu in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it. Marinate for at least one hour, turning the tofu halfway through.
- Combine red cabbage, carrot and onion in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil with the apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, chili flakes, ginger, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot dressing over cabbage mixture and toss. Allow to cool, tossing occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, place marinated tofu in the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side or until tofu is golden in color. Remove and slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- Assemble the wraps by placing equal portions of basmati rice, spicy slaw, tofu and arugula in the middle third of each tortilla. Top with the sriracha mayonnaise and fold the tortilla over the filling.
873 calories, 27 g. fat, 9 mg. cholesterol, 975 mg. sodium, 135 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 24 g. protein