Mango Bean Salad
Total Time: 40 minutes; 20 minutes active
Servings: 6 to 8
Tangy and sweet, this festive salad is great for potlucks, picnics or dinner anytime.
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 fresh lime)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (zest from 1 fresh lime)
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, caramelized
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or sucanat
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the sliced red onion in the lime juice and lime zest for 30 minutes in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, caramelize the corn by heating a sauté pan over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil. Add the corn and the sugar and sauté until the corn is golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine the canned beans, mango, red bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, avocado and garlic with the marinated onions and cooled corn. Toss gently and add salt to taste.
211 calories, 3 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 579 mg. sodium, 37 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 10 g. protein