Lima Bean Spread with Cumin & Herbs
Humble limas are transformed into a sensational Mediterranean spread that is vibrant with a mix of fresh herbs and spices. You can substitute frozen edamame beans for the limas in Step 1; cook according to package directions.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen lima beans
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lima beans, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until the beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in the liquid.
- Drain the beans and garlic. Transfer to a food processor. Add oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, stir in mint, cilantro and dill.
25 calories; 1 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 56 mg sodium