Lemon and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Total Time:10-15 minutes
Servings:2 cups, enough to frost 12 regular or 24 mini cupcakes
This easy icing is a great accompaniment to cupcakes, cakes, sandwich cookies, macaroons and other decadent desserts!
- Whites from 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 pound butter, room temperature
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan, and cook on medium high heat until sugar reaches 300° F. when tested with a candy thermometer.
- While sugar is heating, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until doubled in volume.
- Once the sugar reaches 300 degrees, remove from heat and slowly stream the hot sugar into egg whites with the mixer on medium low speed. Once the sugar syrup has been incorporated, increase the mixer speed to high and mix until egg whites have tripled in volume and have a nice sheen. Slowly add in the room-temperature butter, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract, salt, and lemon extract and continue to blend until the mixture has cooled.
- Transfer frosting into a pastry bag or a zip-lock plastic bag with the bottom corner snipped off, and pipe onto cupcakes.
Buttercream icing is a great accompaniment to cupcakes, cakes, sandwich cookies, macaroons and many more delicious desserts!
188 Calories, 15 g. fat, 41 mg. cholesterol, 63 mg. sodium, 12 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 1 g. protein