Insalata Caprese (Caprese Salad)
Just a handful of ingredients are required to make this Italian classic taste sensation.
- 2 large, fresh tomatoes, preferably heirloom, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup arugula, chopped (optional)
- In a circular pattern following the edge of the plate, alternate slices of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle liberally with torn or sliced (chiffonade) basil, as well as salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the salad.
- Top with chopped arugula or capers, if using.
Serve with a loaf of hearty artisanal bread or a baguette. To make the salad into a sandwich, layer mozzarella, tomatoes, olive oil, and a little balsamic vinegar onto a baguette. Top with basil, salt, and pepper (or basil pesto).
290 calories, 23 g. fat, 31 mg. cholesterol, 192 mg. sodium, 5 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 17 g. protein