Hanger Steak Sandwiches
Total Time: 8 hours, 20 minutes; 20 minutes active
Want an exceptionally juicy and tender steak for your sandwich? Cook it with this easy and flavorful beer marinade.
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 pound hanger steak (or Flank steak)
- 4 striato rolls, halved
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 6 thin red onion slices
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach or 4 romaine leaves, quartered
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together and place in a re-sealable plastic bag with the steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- Coat a skillet or grill pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry; discard marinade. Place steak in hot skillet and cook until well browned and thermometer inserted into the center reads 130°F, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to cutting board and rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak into thin pieces.
- To assemble sandwiches, first whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Brush onto bottom half of the bread roll. Layer on spinach, steak, cheese, tomato and then onion. Spread mayonnaise on the top half of the roll and complete the sandwich.
653 calories, 25 g. fat, 86 mg. cholesterol, 1134 mg. sodium, 69 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 41 g. protein