Grilled Vegetable Antipasto
Total Time:25 to 30 minutes
Servings:6-8 appetizer portions
It’s amazing how delicious seasonal, organic vegetables can be with a splash of olive oil and a dash of sea salt when they are caramelized over a bed of bright red coals (or your glistening gas grill!).
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Squeeze of fresh lemon, plus wedges for serving
- Salt pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 small carrots, peeled
- 1 cup organic snap peas (don’t remove the stems)
- 1 small organic zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 to 8 fingerling potatoes, boiled for 15 minutes and cut in half
- Basil sprigs, to garnish
- Combine the olive oil, basil, citrus juice and the sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the vegetables in this mixture to coat well. Add a little extra olive oil if you need it.
- Preheat a gas grill to high or build a bed of hot coals. Grill the vegetables, turning once or twice, until grill marks appear and the color pops. Don’t overcook them, as they will continue to cook slightly after you have removed them from the grill. Arrange the vegetables on a platter and serve with any of the additional items below. Garnish with wedges of lemon and whole sprigs of basil.
Accompany all of this bounty with some freshly baked bread and a Mediterranean dip-like hummus and you have a gorgeous tribute to the season!